Moving expenses

Saturday, November 12, 2011   //   Tax Matters  //  No Comments

Generally, you can deduct moving expenses you paid in 2011 if both of the following apply:

  • You moved to work or run a business or to study full-time at an educational institution that offers post-secondary courses.
  • You moved at least 40 kilometres closer to your new work or school.


If you moved before 2011 but could not claim all your expenses on your return for that year or later, you may be able to claim the remaining expenses on your return for 2011.

In addition, if you pay expenses after the year of your move, you may be able to claim them on your return for the year you pay them. You may carry forward unused amounts until you have enough income to claim them.

Your deduction is limited to the amount of net eligible income you earned at the new location. Also, you cannot deduct moving expenses against certain non-taxable scholarship, fellowship, bursary, prize, and research grant income.

Supporting Documents

If you are filing electronically, or filing a paper return, do not send any documents.  Keep all your documents in case we ask to see them at a later date.

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.