Immigration Matters

Immigrating to Canada permanently is an exciting opportunity. However, there are several things you should consider before you apply to be a permanent resident.

If you want to immigrate to Canada, there are a few different ways to apply. You will need to decide which immigration program will work best for you and your family.

Skilled Workers and Professionals

For people who want to settle and work in Canada (outside of Quebec)
Skilled workers are selected as permanent residents based on their education, work experience, knowledge of English and/or French, and other criteria that have been shown to help them become economically established in Canada. All the information and forms you need to apply as a federal skilled worker are here.  Note: The province of Quebec is responsible for selecting its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information. The rules for applying as a federal skilled worker can change from time to time without notice, so make sure you visit this site regularly if you are considering immigrating to Canada under this category.

Quebec Selected Skilled Workers

For people selected by the Quebec government to settle and work in Quebec
Under the Canada-Quebec Accord on Immigration, Quebec establishes its own immigration requirements and selects immigrants who will adapt well to living in Quebec.  If you want to go to Quebec as a skilled worker, you must first follow a separate selection process before your application is finalized by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.  If you speak French, you should know that there are plenty of French-speaking communities outside Quebec that are also excited about welcoming you.

Canadian Experience Class

For people who have recent Canadian work experience or have graduated and recently worked in Canada
If you are a temporary foreign worker or a foreign student who graduated in Canada, you often have the qualities to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence. You are familiar with Canadian society and can contribute to the Canadian economy. You should have knowledge of English or French and qualifying work experience.Applying to stay in Canada permanently in your case is simple. You can do this under the Canadian Experience Class.  Before you apply, make sure you get to know the requirements and current application procedures.

Investors, Entrepreneurs and Self-Employed People

The Business Immigration Program seeks to attract experienced business people to Canada who will support the development of a strong and prosperous Canadian economy.Business immigrants are expected to make a C$800,000 investment or to own and manage businesses in Canada, and must meet certain experience and/or net worth criteria.Each application can be made for only one class and the class cannot be changed once the application is submitted. The criteria you must meet to qualify are different for each class.

Provincial Nominees

One of Canada’s provinces or territories can nominate you to settle and work there
Persons who immigrate to Canada under the Provincial Nominee Program have the skills, education and work experience needed to make an immediate economic contribution to the province or territory that nominates them. They are ready to establish themselves successfully as permanent residents in Canada.  To apply under the Provincial Nominee Program, applicants must be nominated by a Canadian province or territory.

Sponsoring Your Family

How to sponsor a family member to join you here if you are a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) knows it is important to help families who come from other countries to reunite in Canada. If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependent child (including adopted child) or other eligible relative to become a permanent resident.